Thursday, June 19, 2014

Bombshell Countdown: DC Comics Bombshell Covers

Let's talk about Bombshells! I have an appreciation for the old style pin-ups of women, because they have a certain flare to them. If you didn't already drool over them already, DC Comics released variant covers of various comics that feature a lot of their female characters as Bombshells. I thought this was a brilliant marketing tool on their part. The best thing about this is they come out in waves, so it doesn't hurt my wallet all at once. That being said, let's get down to the fun stuff. If you can't tell already, I'm a huge fan of the women in DC Comics, and love that they've been in the spotlight more so recently. I'm going to give you a countdown of my favorites. Here we go:

20. Batman and Ra's al ghul #32. It's an okay cover, but what makes it interesting is that it could possibly be Talia. Or is it?

















19. Green Lantern Corps #32 features Arisia and a dog walking service. I haven't followed Arisia's storyline, so I'm not sure if she has anything to do with dogs. Although, it's cute, and has that Marilyn Monroe style to it.
18.Justice League United #32. This cover doesn't do much for me. Nothing about it really catches my eye, but the concept of Stargirl on the cover of a book is neat, just nothing super cool about this.
17. Green Lantern #32 If it wasn't for the name on this cover I wouldn't have guessed it was Carrol Ferris. I do think the ad is interesting approach, but I didn't jump for joy over it.
16. Batman Superman #12 I love the look of bomber jackets, but there isn't much to this cover. Supergirl is posing like Marilyn Monroe, and Batgirl is about to lasso someone. At least that's all I got from it.
15. Earth #2 I've always thought Hawkgirl was cool looking, and they capture the look of Rocketeer in this image. The bubble gum packaging in neat because it has that old feel to it, but there isn't enough Hawkgirl on the cover.
14. Flash #32 I wish I could have been around in the good old days to see what a real drive-in is like, and I felt this cover helped recreate that drive-in feeling. They have everything from the milkshake to the roller skates, but I still feel they could have added more.
13. Red Hood and the Outlaws #32 I'm not a fan of the circus, but I love the way this poster cover features Starfire as a main attraction for a circus. They captured the costume right, and especially the way it looks like a poster ad for Haly's circus.
12.Superman #32 I'm prepared for you all to virtually throw tomatoes at me, so I can say I never liked Lois Lane. Never have, never will. She was never an inspiration to me, and always getting rescued. I will say that I think this cover is spot on. I love it for the fact that it kept in theme with Lois and the Daily Planet. I can't express how much I love her outfit. Well done!
11. Aquaman #32 I think Mera is a visually stunning character to look at because she's unique. Her bathing suit kept with the style of suits back then, and I love that she's holding a trident. The hat on the other hand, has to go, but I can see why they added it. It's just that I'm getting a cross between beach girl meets farmer girl.
10. Action Comics #32 I love Supergirl, but this cover isn't packed with enough punch to put her within my top 5. I like that she's on the cover of a magazine, but I guess I thought they would do more than just pose her in the air above Metropolis.
9. Batgirl #32 Batgirl is another one of my favorites, but again DC lacked the bombshell punch here. I love that it's a post card, and she is seriously adorable in her outfit with the goggles and backpack, but that's it. What else is there?
8. Detective Comics #32 Ahh, Poison Ivy. A lovely earth creature, and I felt putting her as the girl for February was great. Perhaps they could have done a little more with it?
7. Wonder Woman #32 This cover is impressive. It goes back to that old "We Can Do It" World War II poster. If you don't know what I'm referring to then go here and catch up on the times! I still think they should have kept the title We Can Do It rather than She Can Do It. Let's encourage women empowerment! Not just Wonder Woman!
6. Superman Wonder Woman #9 This was an amazing cover. Two powerful women joining forces for freedom. This really is inspiring.
5. Catwoman #32 I know, you're probably thinking this one doesn't deserve to be in the top 5, but I love Catwoman, and this cover is true to her character. She appears on a magazine titled Catwoman. She's holding a huge diamond in her hand, while a cat sits on her shoulder. Now if she was donned in jewels and rolling in dough (literally), I would have ranked her higher.
4. Justice League Dark #32 I love Zatanna, and I'm pretty annoyed that she wasn't part of the New 52 with her own comic. Shame! Or should I say Emahs! If you don't know what that means, then you have been living under a rock! I love her costume. I have the urge to cosplay this! This cover was perfect, and I'm surprised they thought to put her on the cover of a Magic set. Oh and "Ssertsim Fo"on the box means Mistress of!
3. Batman #32 Bravo DC, Bravo! Joker's Daughter on the cover of a comic, was something I didn't expect. I love the way she's on the cover for a freak show. Absolutely stunning artwork. You can tell there was a lot of thought put into this. Every detail is amazing.
2. Harley Quinn #7 Harley is, well Harley! If you recall the old war planes, they often had images painted on them. That's what DC did here. Harley is riding a bomb all the way to Gotham. Makes sense! Look at the image behind her and you can see the Joker and you can make out the words: Joker's Wild. I love this cover. Absolutely unique.
1. Batwoman #32 A lot of people went against this cover for many reasons dealing with Batwoman's sexual preference, but Batwoman is my favorite DC character. There is so much to this peace that I think a lot of people have missed. Let's start with the fact we know Kate is down to earth, and not afraid to get her hands dirty. During WWII women took up playing baseball. Don't believe me, go watch A League of Their Own and you'll see! Now look at the details in this image. Kate signed her baseball card for her girlfriend Maggie. The number 52 represents the New 52, and the team name is Gotham Knights. Batwoman is indeed a knight of Gotham. I also love that her bat is title The Batwoman and a bat symbol is inscribed into the top of the bat. Also, let's point out the obvious reason why DC chose Kate to be a baseball player. Kate is Batwoman, and in baseball there are BATS! Duh! Let's also think about the fact that she is probably the only girl on the Gotham Knights team because their logo is obviously a bat (from the symbol on her hat) and let's see there are how many people in the Bat family? Yeah, it all makes sense. I love this cover, and have already picked up a few copies.
So let's hear your thoughts. What are your favorites? Disagree or Agree with the way I ranked them? Prove me wrong ;-) All these comics can be found at TimeZone Gaming in their store, located in Fords, NJ. Go check 'em out!

Till next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment