Tuesday, August 26, 2014

TimeZone Comic Book Challenge & Reviews This Week

    First off, I gotta say I love off kilter comics that aren't your average Marvel or DC comics. They're refreshing and offer a new storyline. Not to say that the regular old Batman isn't cool, it is, but sometimes it's nice to change it up a bit. So if you've never tried something outside your Marvel or DC Comics safety net, then try it to this week.

    With challenges of every kind happening lately, I challenge all my readers to pick a new comic from a comic book publisher that isn't by Marvel or DC. Just this once! I can promise you won't regret it. Branch out your reading, and pick something from another company and give it a shot. The very least pick up one of the comics I'm reviewing. You never know, you may like them!


    Image's Wayward #1 has been boasted as a Buffy-esque comic, which I can see. Here's what I like about it: the main character Rori Lane (half Irish, half Japanese) moves to Japan and is thrown into a whirlwind situation on her first day. She thinks the monsters she saw, and the strange girl that came to her rescue were all part of her jet lag. Or is it? Without giving too much away, you have to check this book out if only for the mere fact that it immediately catches your attention. Rori also possesses a special power that she's unaware of. All stories begin with either someone returning from a journey, or start with someone going on a journey. I know I can't wait to go on this journey with Rori Lane, and see what kind of world is really existing in Japan.



    The second comic I had the liberty of reading was Hero Cats of Stellar City by Action Lab. I cannot tell you how adorable this comic is. It's title is pretty accurate. This is a story about cats that are superheroes, but no one knows it. The comic is told through the eyes of Cassiopeia, the main cat, and all her friends: Midnight, Belle, Rocket, Rocco, & Ace. It's not your average super hero comic book, but who wants average when you can dream up the impossible? I do think it's cute how Rocket thinks he's an alien cat, Belle can read minds, Midnight the Paws of Justice, Rocco is simply just a cuddly cat, and Ace is the leader. The art is just as compelling as the story. I'm definitely sticking with this comic to see where it goes.

     So I challenge all readers to pick up a comic this week from another publisher you normally don't read. Then I want you to come back here, or visit us on Facebook and tell us about it. Be sure to challenge all your friends who read comics to try something new, or get the ones who don't read comics to try at least 1. You can find all your comic book needs at Timezone Gaming in Fords, NJ. Don't forget to mention you read the blog, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment